Reference number
  • SDT
Date
  • 1917-1972
Level
  • Collection
Description
  • This collection contains: returns to and correspondence with the Registrar of Friendly Societies, 1919-1964; rules booklets, 1933-1953; national executive committee signed minutes, 1917-1972; annual general meeting and annual delegate conference (from 1950) papers, 1936-1962; annual reports, 1929-1971; financial statements, 1938-1950, 1963-1967; subject and correspondence files, 1938-1972; agreements, 1939-1970; 'Newsletter' and analogous circulars to members, 1939-1972; other circulars,1970-1972; correspondence on the possibility of commissioning a published history of the union, 1972; other organisations' publications, 1952-1970; papers of A C Torode, general secretary, 1958-c1962.
Extent
  • 15 boxes
Admin history
  • The Sign and Display Trades Union was founded as the National Union of Sign, Glass and Ticket Writers and Kindred Trades in 1918, changing its name in 1945. It catered for any worker engaged as a sign, glass, poster or ticket writer, or in any branch of subsidiary and allied trades. In 1949 the Northern Glass Workers' Employees' Association and the National Society of Decorative Glass Workers of the United Kingdom transferred their engagements to the Sign and Display Trades Union. In 1972 the union transferred its engagements to the National Society of Operative Printers, Graphical and Media Personnel.

    Reference: Hugh M. Pollock, 'Development and structure of a small trade union...the Sign and Display Trades Union 1918-72', University of Warwick MA dissertation, 1974.
Access Conditions
  • There are no restrictions on access to these records.
Access status
  • Open