In 1882 most old-established shipwright's societies federated into a single society as the Associated Society of Shipwrights, which had been formed in 1872. Between 1900 and 1910 the society absorbed the Ship Constructive Association and many local societies and changed its name to the Shipconstructors' and Shipwrights' Association. In 1909 it absorbed the Amalgamated Drillers and Hole Cutters' Society. With effect from 1 October 1963, it amalgamated with the United Society of Boilermakers, Blacksmiths, Shipbuilders and Structural Workers to form the Amalgamated Society of Boilermakers, Shipwrights, Blacksmiths and Structural Workers.
Reference: Arthur Marsh and Victoria Ryan, 'Historical Directory of Trade Unions', volume 2, (1984); David Dougan, 'The shipwrights : the history of the Ship Constructors and Shipwrights' Association' (Newcastle upon Tyne, 1975); reports of the United Society of Boilermakers, Blacksmiths, Shipbuilders and Structural Workers, 1962-1963 (MSS.192/BM/4/1/85a-86).