Reference number
  • RCA
Date
  • 1956-2012
Level
  • Collection
Description
  • Constitution, minutes of Executive and Committees, correspondence and subject files; journals and newsletters, annual reviews and reports.
Extent
  • 36 boxes
Admin history
  • The origins of the SCA were in the first Home Office training course in residential child care in 1949. Initially called the Houseparents Association, by 1950 the name had changed to the Residential Child Care Association, which was later amended to the Residential Care Association in 1972. It became the SCA in 1985.
    From the SCA website (18/3/2013):
    "In 1949 a group of students on the first Home Office Course in Residential Child Care decided to form an Association to promote good professional practice and to maintain the supportive peer network established during their course. The Association became known as the Residential Child Care Association (RCCA).
    The Association grew in strength and membership throughout the 1950/60's. In 1972, in recognition of the changing nature of residential provision the Association resolved to widen its criteria for membership to include all those working in a residential setting regardless of user group. The Association became the Residential Care Association (RCA).
    To represent the broader range of interests within the Association a number of national Standing Committees were established. In 1974 the Association appointed its first paid administrator to be followed in 1978 with the appointment of the first full time General Secretary. Following this appointment offices were opened in the Strand in London before a move to larger premises in Surbiton in 1983.
    Following a successful AGM motion in 1984 the Association anticipated changes in social policy and the workforce in social care services. Membership was broadened to include those involved with all user groups in the full range of settings such as residential, day, domiciliary and Community Care and on the 1st January 1985 the Association became known as the Social Care Association (SCA).
    Throughout the 1980's the Association’s commitment to promoting good practice led to involvement in a role in education and training and social care publications. This grew to such an extent that in 1988 a separate charitable company was formed known as SCA (Education).
    In 1999, the Association opened a Scotland Office in recognition of the changing nature of the political landscape and its effects on the Association’s ability to represent its Scottish members. Between 2003 and 2008, the office has been heavily involved in training projects to assist social care workers in Scotland to achieve professional status and prepare for registration working in partnership with like-minded organisations and supported by European Social Fund.
    The Association has recently moved its head office to new, more spacious premises in New Malden, Surrey. Today professional staff are employed at the Association's head office and at its Scotland office in Paisley".
    The SCA went into liquidation on 31 Oct 2012.
Access status
  • Open
Related Material
  • There are additional journals of the SCA deposited (Acc. 1104)