The union was founded as the Amalgamated Association of Card and Blowing Room Operatives in 1886. It became the Amalgamated Association of Card and Blowing and Ring Room Operatives in 1924, the National Association of Card, Blowing and Ring Room Operatives in 1952 and the National Union of Textile and Allied Workers in 1968. In 1974 it merged with the Amalgamated Weavers' Association to form the Amalgamated Textile Workers' Union.
Reference: Arthur Marsh, Victoria Ryan and John B. Smethurst, Historical directory of trade unions. Volume 4. Aldershot : Scolar Press, 1994.