Reference number
  • NPU
Date
  • 1919-1969
Level
  • Collection
Description
  • This collection includes: minutes; 'The Natproban' journal; circulars; 'Journal of the Institute of Bankers'.
Extent
  • 12 boxes
Admin history
  • The Association was formed in 1919 as the National Provincial and Union Bank Guild, changing its name in 1920 to the National Provincial and Union Bank Staff Association and in 1924 to the National Provincial Bank Staff Association to correspond with the change of the bank's name. It had a membership of 5,500 in 1950 and almost 7,000 in the late 1960s. In September 1969 it merged with the the District Bank Staff Association, the National Provincial Bank Ladies' Guild and the Westminster Bank Guild to form the National Westminster Staff Association, covering a membership of 23,502.

    Reference: Arthur Marsh and Victoria Ryan, 'Historical directory of trade unions', volume 1, non-manual unions.
Access status
  • Open
Related Material
  • The Centre also holds the records of the following organisations received in accessions with reference code MSS.56: Central Council of Bank Non-Clerical Staff Associations; Bank Officers' Guild; District Bank Staff Committee; National Provincial Bank Ladies Guild; Banking, Insurance and Finance Union, earlier the National Union of Bank Employees; National Westminster Staff Association; UNIFI; Westminster Bank Guild.