The Iron and Steel Institute was founded in 1869 as a forum for discussion of technical problems across the industry. It was granted a Royal Charter in 1899. Membership was by subscription for individuals (as opposed to the BISRA which represented companies) and primarily those concerned with research and development. The ISI operated a Library and produced a journal. The headquarters of the ISI were originally in Middlesbrough but it relocated to London in 1873. Headlam-Morley became Secretary of the Institute of Metals 1944-1947 and Sec. of the Institute of Metallurgists 1945-1948.