Reference number
  • GSF
  • 1897-1987
  • Collection
  • Various minutes, 1900-1901, 1912-1987 (incomplete); files re 'Cod War', 1960-1976; press-cuttings, 1930s, 1950s-1980s; Grimsby Enginemen's Club and Institute minutes, 1925-1936.
  • 3 boxes
Admin history
  • The Grimsby Steam Fishing Vessels' Engineers' and Firemen's Union was founded in 1896. It changed its name to the Grimsby Steam and Diesel Fishing Vessels' Engineers' and Firemen's Union in 1961. In 1976 it transferred engagements to the Transport and General Workers' Union, becoming 10/3c Branch.
Access Conditions
  • Prior written permission to consult almost all unpublished records in this archive is required. Researchers should apply to Mr Jim Mowatt, Director of Education at the successor union UNITE, Transport House, 128 Theobald's Road, Holborn, London WC1X 8TD, or by e-mail care of Joan Francis ( Publications may be consulted without permission.
Access status
  • Open
Related Material
  • See also MSS.126/TG (Transport and General Workers' Union)