Almost from the beginning the FBI organised its members on a regional basis, set up local committees and appointed paid secretaries. In 1918 there were 16 districts, including 3 new branches in Scotland, but the number fluctuated. The Swansea office was closed in 1923-4 and by the end of 1930s there were 13 offices.
Reorganisation in Feb 1947 replaced the districts with 10 regions in England and Scotland corresponding to the government's Regional Boards for Industry. At the same time, the number of offices increased to 14. There was no Welsh region, the country being divided between the Bristol and Liverpool offices. In Northern Ireland there was an FBI correspondent or representative at various times, but the province was also dealt with from the Manchester office, and after 1962 from Glasgow.
These papers originated in the Membership Department of the Head Office. This was part of the department of the Deputy Director General under Moir Mackenzie. On his retirement in 1951 it was transferred to the Directorate of Home Services and Information (later Promotion and Information) and finally to the Secretary's Department in 1963.
The papers range in date from shortly before World War II to the formation of the CBI in 1965, although files for the 1950s are almost entirely lacking from all major series.