The Ministry of National Insurance Staff Benevolent Society was founded in 1946. The Society had its origins in 1945 after the Staff Side of the Departmental Whitley Council for the Ministry for National Insurance proposed that a benevolent fund be set up. It was agreed however that this should not be run by the Whitley Council itself. In 1947 the Society comprised just over four thousand members. By the end of 1966, this figure had increased to over 27,000 members.
In 1967 this body, which from 1953 had been called the Ministry of Pensions and National Insurance Staff Benevolent Society, was unified with the National Assistance Board Benevolent Fund to form the Ministry of Social Security Staff Benevolent Society, which was later renamed the Department of Health and Social Security Staff Benevolent Society and the Department of Health and Department of Social Security Staff Benevolent Society in accordance with the reorganisation of government departments. In 1999, the Society merged with the Civil Service Benevolent Fund.
Reference: circular in MSS.427/3/2; minutes in MSS.472/2/3.