Reference number
  • CVU
Date
  • 1913-1921
Level
  • Collection
Description
  • This collection contains: 'The Scribe', union journal; London (Admiralty) branch minutes.
Extent
  • 1 box (2 items)
Admin history
  • The Civil Service Clerical Union was established in 1906 as the Admiralty and Outports Clerical Federation, which catered for clerks employed in the naval dockyards. The Federation had recruited more than 95 percent of its potential membership by 1913 and in 1918 it changed its name to the Civil Service Clerical Union (although in 1921 it was referred to as the Civil Service Union in its journal, 'The Scribe') and opened up membership to include all clerical grades. The Union affiliated to the Civil Service Federation and the Labour Party soon after its name change and by 1921 had 12,864 fully-paid members in 60 branches. The Union merged with the Clerical Officers' Association in 1921 to become the Civil Service Clerical Association.

    Reference: Arthur Marsh and Victoria Ryan, 'Historical Directory of Trade Unions' Volume 1 (1988).
Appraisal
  • This collection has been weeded for duplicates.
Access Conditions
  • There are no restrictions on access to these papers.
Access status
  • Open
Related Material
  • The Centre also holds records of the Clerical Officers' Association (Civil Service), the Civil Service Clerical Association and other predecessors of the Public and Commercial Services Union, as well as the PCSU itself.
Subject
  • Government employee unions--Great Britain