The Coventry Chain Company was founded in 1896 and acquired by the Renold Group in 1930. The works at Spon End, latterly employing over 800, including about 400 women shop floor workers, closed in 1980 following the fall in demand for transmission chains for the motor industry.
Reference: B. Tripp, Renold Chains. London, 1956 B. Tripp, Renold Limited 1956-1967. London, 1969.