Reference number
  • CTU
Date
  • (1890)-1998
Level
  • Collection
Description
  • Executive Committee, delegate meetings minutes, 1913-16, 1941-86 (incomplete); other committee minutes, 1954, 1977-85; accounts and balance sheets, 1918-90 (incomplete); annual reports, 1890-1981 (incomplete); correspondence files, 1947-96; journals, 1955-80; rules, 1953-60; papers of William Buxton, vice-Chairman of CTC, c.1919-65; notebooks of John Chater, CTC Secretary, c. 1897-1901; press-cuttings, 1955-69.
    Amalgamated Society of Toolmakers, Engineers and Machinists: 2 notebooks of John Chater, Coventry TC, c.1897-c.1901 (MSS.5/6/2).
Extent
  • 42 boxes
Admin history
  • Coventry Trades Council was established in 1889. The first annual report of Coventry Trades Council revealed that its affiliated workers included miners, engineers, gasworkers and elastic web weavers. By the eve of the First World War, forty-six local trade union branches, representing over eight thousand members, were affiliated to the Council. Coventry Trades Council has continued to campaign on national and local issues ever since. In 1993 the Council was renamed Coventry Trade Union Council.
Access status
  • Open
Related Material
  • The Board of Trade Library collection, which is also held at the Centre, includes annual reports of the Council, 1892-8, 1900-6.