The Society was formed in 1834 as the Society of Friendly Boilermakers. It changed its name to the United Friendly Boilermakers' Society in 1845, and to the United Society of Boilermakers and Iron Shipbuilders in 1852, when the Scottish Society of Boilermakers and the Provident Society of Journeymen Boilermakers of Great Britain were merged into the Society. It was the principal union of boilermakers and steel shipbuilders. It changed its name to the United Society of Boilermakers and Iron and Steel Shipbuilders in 1898 and to the United Society of Boilermakers, Shipbuilders and Structural Workers in 1952. With effect from 1 October 1962 it amalgamated with the Associated Blacksmiths', Forge and Smithy Workers' Society to form the United Society of Boilermakers, Blacksmiths, Shipbuilders and Structural Workers, which from 1 October 1963 became the Amalgamated Society of Boilermakers, Shipwrights, Blacksmiths and Structural Workers when the Shipconstructors' and Shipwrights' Association joined the amalgamation.
Reference: J. E. Mortimer, 'History of the Boilermakers' Society' : vol. 1 1834-1906; vol. 2 1906-1939. (1973 and 1982); 'Commission on Industrial Relations, Shipbuilding and ship-repairing', CIR report no. 22, Cmnd. 4756 (1971); H.A. Clegg, 'General union in a changing society', Oxford, 1964; reports of the United Society of Boilermakers, Blacksmiths, Shipbuilders and Structural Workers, 1962-1963 (MSS.192/BM/4/1/85a-86).