Formed in c.1858 as the Bolton Card Grinders and Strippers' Association, the union had several name changes before becoming the Bolton and District Union of Textile and Allied Workers in 1968. In 1982 it merged with the Bolton and District Weavers, Winders and Warpers' Association, the North Lancashire and Cumbria Textile Workers' Association and the Amalgamated Textile Trades Union (Wigan, Chorley and Skelmersdale District) to form the North West Lancashire, Durham and Cumbria Textile Workers' Union. This union later joined the General, Municipal, Boilermakers and Allied Trades Union in 1986.
Reference: Arthur Marsh, Victoria Ryan and John B. Smethurst, Historical directory of trade unions. Volume 4. Aldershot : Scolar Press, 1994.