The Bleachers, Dyers and Finishers' Association was formed in Bolton in 1866 after the Lancashire cotton famine. The name was expanded to the Bleachers', Dyers' and Finishers' Association, Bolton Amalgamation in 1892, after the union had expanded. In 1901 it was renamed the Operative Bleachers, Dyers and Finishers' Association, Bolton Amalgamation. In 1936 it amalgamated with the National Union of Textile Workers and the Amalgamated Society of Dyers, Bleachers, Finishers and Kindred Trades to form the National Union of Dyers, Bleachers and Textile Workers. This amalgamated with the Transport and General Workers' Union in 1982.