Reference number
  • ACA
Date
  • 1904-1921
Level
  • Collection
Description
  • This collection includes: annual reports; minutes; 'Red Tape' journal; monthly circulars; minutes of Edinburgh branch/Scottish section and Post Office Savings Bank assistant clerks.
Extent
  • 2 boxes
Admin history
  • The Assistant Clerks' Association had its origins in the Senior Clerks' Committee which was established in 1901 to press claims for higher increments and better pension rights. The Senior Clerks' Committee changed its name to the Assistant Clerks' Association in March 1903 and its membership increased, reaching 2223 members in 1912. In its annual reports of 1908-1918 its full name is given as the Association of Civil Service Assistant Clerks (New Class) and in council and executive committee minutes of 1919-1920 it is given as the Association of Assistant Clerks ['Clerks' sometimes omitted here] and Supervising Assistant Clerks (Civil Service). In 1911 the Association began publication of the journal 'Red Tape' and became a founder member of the Civil Service Federation. In 1920 it merged with the Post Office Engineering Clerical Assistants to form the Clerical Officers' Association (Civil Service).

    Reference: Arthur Marsh and Victoria Ryan, Historical Directory of Trade Unions Volume 1 Non-Manual Unions (England 1988) and documents in the archive.
Appraisal
  • This collection has been weeded for duplicates.
Access status
  • Open
Related Material
  • The Centre also holds records of the Public and Commercial Services Union and some of its other predecessors, including the Clerical Officers' Association (Civil Service).
Subject
  • Government employee unions Great Britain