Incorporated as The Castra Electric Washing Machine Co. Ltd on 25 October 1950, it started to manufacture washing machines, spin dryers and other domestic equipment at its Canal Works, Rodley, Leeds in 1953 when Rubery, Owen & Co. Ltd bought the company. Its products were sold through Easiclene Pocelain-Enamel (1938) Ltd, another Rubery Owen company. Production at Rodley ceased in 1967 and was transferred to the Metal Assemblies Division at Darlaston. The name was changed to Rubery Owen (Leeds) Ltd on 28th July 1967 to re-develop the property which was finally sold in December 1970.
With the formation of the Domestic Equipment Group the name was changed to its present title on 3 December 1971 to serve as a holding company for the other subsidiaries in the group.