Reference number
  • IPC
Date
  • 1921-1986
Level
  • Collection
Description
  • Minutes, 1965-70; TUC affiliation files, 1967-76; State Technology/State Service, 1921-69 (incomplete): Review of Energy Policy,1986.
Extent
  • 126 boxes (16 [MSS.37], 110 [583])
Admin history
  • The Institution of Professionals, Managers and Specialists was founded on 1 January 1919 as the Professional Alliance, H.M. Civil Service, changing to the Institution of Professional Civil Servants later in the same year and deriving from the Federation of Professional Officers (Admiralty) founded in 1918. It remained a virtually federal body with affiliated associations in various Civil Service departments until 1945 when new rules involving a move towards branch structure were endorsed.
    In 1969 the Institution of Professional Civil Servants amalgamated with the Society of Technical Civil Servants and in 1970 with the Medical Staff Association. The Institution affiliated to the TUC in 1975.
    As a result of privatisation and the use of agencies and contractors members of the Institution were increasingly to be found outside the Civil Service which led to the adoption of the Institution of Professionals, Managers and Specialists as the union's title in 1989. It became Prospect in 2001.

    Reference: J.E. Mortimer and Valerie Ellis, A professional union : the evolution of the Institution of Professional Civil Servants. London : Allen and Unwin, 1980.
Access status
  • Open
Related Material
  • Records of the Society of Technical Civil Servants and the papers of James Charles McLauchlan (officer of the IPCS) are held at the Centre
ContentNote
  • The full catalogue of this collection is currently unavailable.