Reference number
  • CSU
Date
  • 1943-1987
Level
  • Collection
Description
  • This collection includes: reports of national council and annual conferences, 1944-1986; records concerning contract and directly-employed cleaners in government premises, 1949-1972; statements to arbitration tribunals, 1972-1980; 'The Whip', CSU journal, 1943-1987.
Extent
  • 6 boxes (3 [MSS.111], 3 [MSS.415])
Admin history
  • This union was founded in 1917 as the Association of Government Messengers and Attendants. It later changed its name to the Government Minor and Manipulative Grades' Association, and it became the Civil Service Union in 1944. It organised all civil servants in categories and grades other than administrative, executive, clerical, professional and scientific. In 1988 it amalgamated with the Society of Civil and Public Servants to form the National Union of Civil and Public Servants.

    A fire at the Union's headquarters in 1967 destroyed many of its records.

    Reference: Reference: Arthur Marsh and Victoria Ryan, Historical Directory of Trade Unions Volume 1 Non-Manual Unions (England 1988).
Access status
  • Open
Related Material
  • The Centre also holds records of Society of Civil and Public Servants, the National Union of Civil and Public Servants and other predecessors of the Public and Commercial Services Union, as well as the PCSU itself.