Reference number
  • CTC
  • 1772-2012
  • Collection
  • Includes: minutes, reports and associated papers; financial papers; some membership records; legal case papers; agreements; correspondence and subject files; publications ad press cuttings; individual district association records; photographs, drawings and slides etc; cycling club records and records of other bodies; records of individual members; ephemera.
  • 385 boxes (377 [MSS.328], 5 [875], 3 [1012])
Admin history
  • The Cyclists' Touring Club was founded as the Bicycle Touring Club in 1878. It adopted the name Cyclists' Touring Club in 1883 and was incorporated in 1887. It was initially governed by an executive committee of four vice-presidents and had about fifty members. By 1880 the club had three thousand members and by 1886 some 21,000 members. Membership peaked in 1899 at 60,449. The club promoted cycling, organised rallies and produced guides and maps for members. It continues to champion cyclists and cycling.
  • This collection has been weeded for duplicates.
Access Conditions
  • There are no restrictions on access to these papers, except for a thirty year rule on committee minutes and papers, and for items which come within the Data Protection Act, 1998.
Access status
  • Open
Related Material
  • There is related material in other deposits by the National Cycle Archive (MSS.328/N).