Reference number
  • CPS
Date
  • 1918-1998
Level
  • Collection
Extent
  • 227 boxes (5 [MSS.22], 209 [MSS.415], 13 [938])
Admin history
  • The Civil Service Clerical Association was formed in 1921 after the amalgamation of the Civil Service Clerical Union and the Clerical Officers' Association. Initially, the CSCA was formed to promote the interests of both permanent and temporary Civil Service staff. This was the first organisation under which such a move was made. At this time, the union had a membership of over 16,000. The CSCA was affiliated with the Trades Union Congress and the Labour Party until 1927, when under the terms of the Trade Disputes Act, government employees were forced to disaffiliate. It re-affiliated with the TUC in 1946. In 1969 it changed its name to the Civil and Public Services Association. In 1973 the Ministry of Labour Staff Association amalgamated with the CPSA and in January 1974 the CPSA absorbed the Court Officer's Association, which became the Court Officers' Section. In March 1998 the CPSA amalgamated with the Public Services, Tax and Commerce Union to form the Public and Commercial Services Union.

    Reference: Arthur Marsh and Victoria Ryan, Historical Directory of Trade Unions (England 1988).
Appraisal
  • This collection has been weeded for duplicates.
Access Conditions
  • There are no restrictions on access to these papers.
Access status
  • Open
Related Material
  • The Centre also holds papers of and concerning Ernest "Bill" Hicks, Frank Fallows and Norman Jacobs, CSCA officials, and records of the Clerical Officers' Association (Civil Service) the Civil Service Clerical Union and other predecessors of the Public and Commercial Services Union, as well as the PCSU itself.
Subject
  • Government employee unions-- Great Britain